About Our Club
 
image
The Rotary Club of Wolfeboro can trace its beginnings to a chance meeting in the Summer of 1927.   But it was not chance that led to that first meeting on October 28, or to the celebration of Charter Night on January 13, 1928.  Twenty Five Charter members began a Wolfeboro tradition which has remained a vital force in our community for the last 80+ years.

By 1944 forty active members welcomed Rotary founder Paul Harris when he visited Wolfeboro.

 

Image

Image

Image

The Rotary Club of Wolfeboro is a service organization dedicated to supporting projects that will benefit activities of the Four Avenues of Service:  Club Service, Community Service, Vocational Service and International Service.

The Rotary Club of Wolfeboro was formed on July 19, 1927, following a chance meeting of Fred Landman (superintendent of the public schools in Wolfeboro) and John Gilman (president of the Laconia Rotary Club) at a picnic at Chocorua Lake.  Following telephone conversations between Landman and Gilman, a group of 12 men met at the Wolfeboro Tavern on October 28, 1927, to discuss the feasibility of a local club and to initiate a survey for members.  By December 6, 25 men, listed hereafter, signed as charter members, and three weeks later District Governor Anthony Parshley advised that the provisional club had been elected to membership in Rotary International as Club No. 2719.

Charter Members:  J. Clifton Avery, Alonzo H. Beardsley, Robert C. Brewster, Sherman Brummitt, Edwin L. Clark, Dr. Fred E. Clow, A.M. Fowler, J. Frank Goodwin, Abel Haley, Harold H. Hart, Charles A. Hatch, Frank P. Hobbs, Raymond Jewell, Fred U. Landman, Harry E. Libby, Dr. Fred E. Meader, Harry T. Merritt, Dr. Burt W. Parshley, Ernest B. Rich, Albert N. Savard, Robert F. Thurrell, Ernest H. Trickey, ClaytonM. Wallace, Liewellyn Wentworth, and Lester A. Wiggin.

The first meeting of the Wolfeboro Rotary Club was held December 27, 1927, in the bowling room of the Masonic Temple.  Their first dinner was served by the Ladies Club of the First Baptist Church. January 13, 1928, was charter night.  A women’s auxiliary known as the Rotary Anns (a pun on Rotarians) was formed soon thereafter.  On July 25, 1944, the group was honored by a visit by Paul Harris, of Chicago, who had founded Rotary in 1905 in that city.

In the years since 1927, projects supported by the Rotary Club of Wolfeboro have included the following (representative but not complete):

  • Contribution to the Huggins Hospital Building Fund.
  • Contribution to the Brewster Academy Building Fund.
  • Local school scholarship awards.
  • Funds and manpower to assist in building Foss Field
  • Funds and manpower to assist m the repair of the old firehouse on Lehner Street (now the Community Center Building).
  • Participation in the Group Study Exchange Program of Rotary International.
  • Contributions and support of the Polio Plus project of Rotary International.
  • Funding, design, construction, and lighting of the Russell C. Chase Bridge-Falls Path.
  • Participation in the Rotary International Youth Exchange Program.
  • Contributions and support of the Wolfeboro Area Children’s Center
  • Contribution to the Wolfeboro Historical Society’s project for a new town history.
  • Contribution to the community bandstand in Cate Park.
  • Annual radio auction for charity.
  • Annual Christmas tree sales to raise funds for charitable purposes.
  • Support of a variety of community-wide projects designed to maintain the quality of life in Wolfeboro
Today we meet at noon on the Second & Fourth Wednesday each month at 
Huggins Hospital Medical Arts Center Conference Room
240 S Main St
Wolfeboro, NH  03894
We would love to have you visit.

If you wish to contact us, our mailing address is:  P.O. Box 781, Wolfeboro, NH 03894-0781.


The greatest privilege we have

is being with like-minded people in Rotary.

 
Norman Vincent Peale